The Twinnies are Here!

Yes, I have been MIA on lots of things. Getting back to people, Facebook, here, texting… but for all good reason :)

Zuri Irene and Varah Ann were born Friday, March 14, 2014 at 7:53 and 7:54 am.  And absolutely beautiful.

{Varah is pronounced Sarah with a V}

They were born at 34 weeks, which was the furthest the doc was going to let me go due to the TTTS, but they still weighed in at 5 lbs .7 oz, 19.5 in long, and 4 lbs 5 oz 18.5 in long. I have seen some of my friends’ children shorter than that at full term! I couldn’t believe how long they were.

And for being 6 weeks early, I didn’t think 5 lbs was bad either. I believe the last 5 weeks or so, they are supposed to gain a half a pound to a pound a week… could you imagine another 5-6 lbs added onto each child. Ya, me either.

But, my thoughts are with all you past, present, and future mom’s of multiple’s who do go longer than me. Kuddos to all of you!

Well, Thursday night/Friday morning, I only got about 2 hours of sleep… and that’s a big maybe. So needless to say, once my alarm went off, I must have pushed snooze, because I woke up 15 minutes before we had to leave and my husband had just got into the shower. He is someone that needs at least an hour to get ready. Eh. I do mean that in the most lovingly way possible… {Love you honey!}

With all that, we only showed up 10 minutes late! Not so bad if I do say so myself. We’re late to everything, so why wouldn’t my twinnies arrive into the world a tad behind schedule?

We checked in and they walked us to our room ~ the room closest to the NICU ~ SCORE! We had to do some prep work, getting monitors on my belly, checking babies, getting IV started, filling out paperwork, blah, blah, blah.

Finally, it was time to walk to the operating room {O.R.}. Talk about an intense feeling. We finally made it and they made Jason wait outside the O.R. until it was time for the surgery to begin. Which of course, without my best friend, it was even more terrifying.

I open the door, and was welcomed with the whitest of walls, floor, and ceiling. Bright, giant lights lined up in multiple rows above me. Along the walls were trays full of different sized scalpels, scissors, and other lets-cut-someone-open tools. And smack dab in the middle of the room was a small single table in the shape of a cross. For me. It was officially time to be crucifiedcut open, placed on the table for my C-Section. 

After I got my spinal tap, they helped me lay down because I was already losing feeling in the lower half of my body. They tested me to make sure I couldn’t feel anything before they started slicing and dicing, and once I passed those tests, they rose the ‘curtain’ in front of me, and brought in the hubster’s.

He hung out at my head with the anesthesiologist who really helped keep me calm. Next thing I knew, minutes later, the  anesthesiologist said “Okay, Baby 1’s head is out, in just a few seconds, she’ll be free!” And literally, as soon as he finished the sentence, I heard crying. The most beautiful and sheep sounding cry I have ever heard. Jason ran over to the table they took Zuri to and started snapping pictures… {Or so I thought… I haven’t found them on my camera yet}

Then as soon as Zuri was taken to the table, it was all repeated for Varah. And I heard Varah crying and I so badly wanted to reach up and grab her and snuggle her next to me… but unfortunately for me, I was paralyzed. There was no moving.  It was a weird feeling. I couldn’t feel anything being done to me, but I could feel my body twitching as if trying to tell that spinal tap, “look here biotch, I’ll move if I want to!” But, my body was all talk.

Let. Me. Tell. You. It was a happenin’ Friday morning.

Then the NICU staff started rolling the twins by my head for me to look  at. They had them in those clear incubator looking things, all bundled up in a blanket, and all I could see was their faces. Then, they continued passed me and right on out the door. Varah following closely behind Zuri.

The worst part about the whole thing, is I didn’t get to see my girls until the following day, about 10:30-11 in the morning. More than 24 hours later. It was awful. I was vomiting until 1 pm on Friday, and then after that finally got under control, my blood pressure spiked super high. So they kept declining my continuous pleading request to go see the cutest little babes on earth.

As bad as that was, it was kind of also a blessing. I felt like shit all day, in and out of sleep. Trying to get my feeling back in my chest down to my toes. Projectiling into the tiniest little bowl you ever have seen. {Yes, turns out I have amaze-ball  skills when it comes to puking into small containers.} And of course, trying to get the pain from my itty bitty incision under control.

It was like a super bad hang over. But instead of a broken foot this time {yes, Cinco De Mayo last year was a biotch to me}, I had been sliced open.

BUT. Once I did get to see them in NICU the next day, Varah, was able to start being held and I was the first one who got to hold her. Saturday was a glorious day.

Anyway, here is a very small camera dump of the hospital stay for the first week. More stories to follow. :)

Getting ready for my C-Section!

Getting ready for my C-Section!


Pictures of them the day after delivery!

IMG_2735 IMG_2731 DSC_0167 IMG_2740 DSC_0194 DSC_0185 DSC_0173 DSC_0196 DSC_0199 DSC_0201 DSC_0215 DSC_0207 DSC_0204

Loves & Toodle-os!

{Sorry all the pictures are run together. I am still getting the hang of this blogging thing. If anyone can help me upload more pictures, that’d be awesome. For some reason, it won’t let me upload more than one group of pictures. It’s really starting to make me mad!}

%d bloggers like this: