A Big Update for Some Tiny Babes

Well… I hope none of you got used to that one 70 degree weather’d day we had.  Because it hasn’t been back since. Seriously… this wintery, crappy shit is for the birds. I am sick and tired of it. For once, I’d like to walk outside without a coat or sweatshirt. I think Mother Nature is cruisin’ for a bruisin’.

Crappy weather, Go away

So… want to hear how the twinnies are doing??? Do ya, do ya, do ya? (Name that movie! Times up – Finding Nemo!)

Well, first, I want to tell you how exhausted I am. Because this is my blog and I can. And I will.

Jason and I decided for me to stay home during the day Tuesday through today mostly because Kensli needed some mommy/daughter time. She has been shuffled around for two weeks straight from grandma’s, to the other grandma’s, to aunts, to friends. And we decided a good week or so home with us would be good for her. And I really think she missed us.  Especially me, only because I have been completely MIA for awhile. Jason at least got to pick her up at places, stayed at home with the kids on nights they did get to stay at home, spend some time with her here and there… where I was at the hospital early and came home after she was in bed daily.

My heart melted the other day when she woke me up by climbing into bed with me, tucking my hair behind my ears, rubbing my face in the most ever gently way a 3 year old can, and whispering sweet nothings into my face. She told me how beautiful I was, how she missed me, how much she loved me… and I couldn’t help but giggle, but also felt the water works fighting to surface. I really forced them down.. because if you know any 3 year old… Tears = crying = sad. Regardless of what kind of tears they are. And I didn’t want to ruin the moment. I always thought she was soooo incredibly sweet and innocent… when she was sleeping. But I can also add that moment to the list now too.


So while staying home during the day with Miss Thang, I decided to stay the night at the hospital. But first of all, let me fill you in on the ‘pull out bed’ situation they have there… The nurse didn’t know how to pull it out completely, so the damn thing only came to my knees…. So Tuesday night I laid scrunched up when I actually got to try to sleep… maybe getting an hours sleep at a time. The girls were of course fussy that night… the first night in the 2 1/2 weeks they’ve been there and I didn’t even get to ‘bed’ before 2 am. Then I pump every 3 hours – 12, 3, 6, 9 is my schedule. So after finally falling asleep, I had to wake up at 3 to pump.  Zuri then decided to pull out her feeding tube while I was pumping… so she was completely distraught. Varah must have felt left out, so once Zuri calmed down, Varah started up. I picked up Varah to rock her. And once that was all calmed down, It was 5. Awesome… went back to sleep until 6:30 to pump, and then I should have just left for home after that, but I was so exhausted, I fell back to sleep… and woke up late to relieve Jason of his fatherly duties so he could go to work. Eh.

But last night was much better. I was told correctly how to use the ‘pull out bed’. Still no comfy king sized hotel bed… but at least I could stretch out my legs. And they actually slept well between feedings. The nurse took over the feedings the last two nights so I could focus on pumping. Otherwise, I would have been up every hour on the hour. Zuri eats at the 1, 4, 7, 10 hours, Varah eats at 2, 5, 8, 11, and then as I said, I pump on the third hour that’s left- 3, 6, 9, 12. Those schedules don’t exactly leave mom with much sleep. At all. Considering it takes a half hour to feed or pump.

So I was thankful when the nurse offered to feed them. Especially last night, because I was running on only a few hours from that wonderful night before.

Anyway, I’ll be back up there tonight about 10 or so… Kelley and I have a bff date. She got free tickets to the funny bone, and I decided to take her up on it when she offered the night away. Damn it, I deserve an hour away. I also have a hair appointment today at 1:30, so it’s kinda  a big day for me :)

So. Back to my babes! They are now kicking ass! The eating process has ‘clicked’ so hopefully it won’t be much longer! As I have mentioned before, they have to eat 8 times {their entire feeding} in a row, two days in a row before they can be released to their ever loving parents. Zuri was just bumped up to 8 today!!!!! And Varah got bumped up to 5! Can you believe it?! If you would have told me this even 4 days ago.. I would have had a hard time believing it. But Zuri took all 6 {she was okay’d for only 6} of her bottles yesterday, and Varah took all three that she was allowed.


Varah shocked us all… as of Tuesday, she hadn’t finished one full feeding. Not from me nor a bottle. Then, yesterday, she finished her bottle on her first attempt, and then kept rocking it! She finished the next two after that! I knew she was going to get her feedings up’d. And the doc did his rounds this morning, noted how awesome-sauce they were yesterday and moved ’em on up.


That’s right folks… it won’t be much longer before we all will be home. Before I have my babes in my arms, not tethered to machines, my other two children home with me, all of which driving me to lose my sanity and growing gray hair.

{Please, if you see a silver strand, please be a peach and DO NOT TELL ME. Thank you.}

I know it’s not a ton of news… but the news is a huge step in the right direction. We’re on the down hill slope now friends and fam.

Keep your prayers coming, they are helping! And while you are at it, please pray for all other little babes in the NICU. Some are sick, some are real small preemies, and some are just feeders and growers like mine. They all could use some extra love.

Toodle-o and loves!


%d bloggers like this: